We are proud of our employees, whom we call “Unitherians.” Without their hard work and ingenuity, none of our success would be possible, and none of our goals would be achievable. We strive to hire exceptionally smart people who are passionately committed to our goals and who will thrive in our unique culture.
We provide our employees with the opportunity to work on innovative, revolutionary projects with significant autonomy to determine how to approach their work in inspiring surroundings and state-of-the-art facilities. We are intentional in our efforts to cultivate an entrepreneurial, inclusive, and high-performance culture.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We celebrate our diverse Board of Directors and workforce, and firmly believe that being a great place to work means being a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place to work. We are committed to the development and advancement of women and underrepresented minorities within our organization as part of our overall diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) strategy, with an intention that our leadership team is reflective of our workforce. Additionally, our Nominating and Governance Committee of our Board takes diversity seriously in its Board refreshment deliberations.
- Over the course of 2021, we continued to strengthen our focus on DEI at our Board level and throughout our company, continuing to follow the plan we developed in 2020. Our goal is to ensure that DEI continues to be intrinsically woven into our day-to-day culture.
- We formalized and established guidelines for Employee Resource Groups.
- We expanded and enhanced sourcing and recruiting strategies to target diverse candidate groups as part of our overall talent acquisition program. We added DEI-focused interview questions to our core interview guide, allowing us to emphasize UT’s commitment to DEI and helping ensure we are recruiting and hiring candidates that are aligned with these priorities. Human Resources is also making substantial progress on developing and implementing a UT-wide career framework, which will drive more transparent and meaningful career conversations.
- We refreshed and re-launched UT Core Values, with “Inclusiveness” added as one of our five which represent who we are and what we stand for as Unitherians.
- We continued with our commitment of financial support to organizations that are working to achieve greater racial justice and equity, making our second round of donations.
- We developed and launched an all-new DEI survey.
- We used a variety of programs, internal social media, articles, and videos to educate Unitherians and raise awareness.
- Our internal Diversity and Inclusion social media group includes every employee in the company, and is fantastically active, allowing Unitherians to learn from and share with one another in this collaborative space.
Diversity Snapshot (2021)
employees received promotions in 2021 (approximately 18% of our workforce)
of promoted employees identify as racial/ethnic minority
of promoted employees are women
RACIAL AND ETHNIC DIVERSITY
We use the term “racial or ethnic minority” to refer to Unitherians who self-identified as Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, Asian, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, or Two or More Races, which are the categories used for federal EEO-1 reporting purposes.
We believe in the value of maintaining an open-door policy — we encourage our employees to speak up, and we take action on ideas, suggestions, and employee concerns. We have also taken steps to enhance leadership communication, including the development of a recognition platform, formalizing leadership updates to staff, and encouraging proactive cross-functional engagement.
Low Turnover and Balanced Hiring
We are very proud of our low turnover compared to our industry peer group: 7% compared to an industry average of 14% in 2021, and we have historically trended well below the industry average. The average tenure of our employees is about six years, with nearly half of our employees having between five and 25+ years of service.
In 2021, we hired 111 new employees, of which 54% were women and 39% identified as members of racial or ethnic minorities.
Our people programs are designed and curated to attract, retain, and motivate our high performing workforce, demonstrating how much we value each Unitherian. We offer a comprehensive total rewards package that features a long-term incentives program ensuring all employees can participate in our financial success. In addition, we provide several services and amenities to round out our program offerings. You can learn more on the Careers page of our corporate website.
We are thoughtfully and carefully restarting many in-person activities that were paused during the COVID-19 pandemic, including social-and activity-based events in support of our culture and giving shape to our new, post-pandemic workplaces.
- We adhere to a minimum “living wage” policy where all full-time US-based employees receive at least $75,000 annual compensation, including salary and bonus opportunity (and before any incentive equity grants)
- Every full-time employee has the opportunity to be a shareholder through our long-term incentive program and our employee stock purchase plan
- 401(k) program with employer match
Health and Wellness
- State-of-the-art “health-positive” facilities in Maryland, North Carolina, and Florida
- On-site gym, sport court, and game room at our main locations
- Cafeterias at our main locations providing free, locally sourced, sustainable food served in 100% compostable packaging
- Wellness Fair with flu shots
- Motivate Me health incentive program
- Fitness and activity challenges
- Flexible hybrid work policy
- Generous time off policy, which included which included COVID-19-specific time off for related absences
- Paid parental leave
- Subsidized, on-site daycare at our main locations
- Take your Parents to Work Day
- Take your Kids to Work Day
- Milestone celebrations/happy hour/holiday parties
- Meaningful community service events
Personal and Professional Development
- Up to $30,000 per employee for tuition assistance; in 2021, we reimbursed over
$250,000 in tuition assistance to 35 employees
- Variety of instructor-led and web-based training opportunities
United Therapeutics is consistently recognized as a great place to work. Some recent awards include: